Cover Him With Grass - 1989
- Title: Cover Him With Grass
- Choreographer:Siobhan Davies
- Choreographer Comments:choreographed for Siobhan Davies Dance
- Dancer:Scott Clark,Gill Clarke,Paul Douglas,Michael Fulwell,Bernadette Iglich,Lauren Potter
- Music:Kevin Volans
- Sound Score:Biography details can be found here http://www.chesternovello.com/default.aspx?TabId=2431&State_2905=2&composerId_2905=1651
- Designer:David Buckland
- Lighting Design:Peter Mumford
- Costume Designer:David Buckland
- Production Manager:Ian Beswick
- Summary:Touring alongside Drawn Breath, this work for six dancers is set to a sound collage by Kevin Volans in which he cut together music from his natural landscape piece Cover Him With Grass (1982) and the 2nd and 4th sections of his piece Studies in Zulu History (1976/79).
- Analysis:‘The cast move as a community to rhythmic Sotho work-chants, united by the shared burden of a long pole. The pole takes on its own life and weight as the dancers collaborate around it’ (Jann Parry, The Observer, 1989).
‘... [Davies] responded to Kevin Volans’ semi-anthropological score (African music, voices and electronic sound) with a lulling and beautiful extension of her usual fluid style’ (Judith Mackrell, The Independent, 11 November 1989).
‘Cover Him with Grass begins with a ‘work dance’ in which a hefty metal pole is manoeuvred by the performers. Later the pole is put to work as the weight which draws down a printed landscape. During the last third of the piece a floor-bound painted carpet unrolls across the space, prescribing a terrain for two dancers while two vertical transparent films unroll from the ceiling. These physical interventions provide an environment which stimulates the movement’ (Deborah Saxon, 2009).
- Production Date Original:1989
- Tour:Great Britain and France
02/11/1989 - Warwick Arts Centre (Premiere)