Between the National and the Bristol - 1994
- Title: Between the National and the Bristol
- Choreographer:Siobhan Davies
- Choreographer Comments:choreographed for CandoCo Dance Company
- Dancer:Helen Baggett,Adam Benjamin,Celeste Dandeker,Jon French,Victoria-Jane Marks,Kuldip Singh-Barmi,Sue Smith,David Toole
- Music:Gavin Bryars
- Sound Score:String Quartet No. 1 'Between the National and the Bristol' (1985)
- Musicians:The Smith Quartet
- Musicians Comments:The Smith Quartet
- Lighting Design Comments:Jeremy Retford
- Costume Maker:Costumes realised and made by Elizabeth Baker
- Summary:Davies was commissioned to make this work by CandoCo Dance Company for CandoCo's own company dancers. The title of the dance is taken from Gavin Bryars' music for string quartet.
- Analysis:‘Davies plays with forming and reforming the Company. She uses qualities of movement to show the changes of balance that can occur as one person shifts from moving alone to being part of a group, or aligning themselves to a particular person. It is in these small changes that Davies draws out subtle and telling details’ (CandoCo Dance Company programme note, 1994).
'Under her guidance, all eight performers developed their own movement responses to Gavin Bryars' string quartet...After an ensemble sequence in which movement passes from one set of arms to another, wheelchairs gliding like skaters, the work becomes a series of duets, each couple watched by the others' (Jann Parry, The Guardian, Jan 30 1994).
- Production Date Original:1994
- Tour:Jan 1994 - Queen Elizabeth Hall, London